A Break in the Narrative

I want to acknowledge that this journey that I am trying to document will potentially be a long journey. Last week I had a reminder while I was listening to one of my favorite podcast 'Humanize Me' by Bart Campolo who interviewed Jason Callahan. Jason is the first person recognized as a Humanist Chaplain. Humanize Me Episode 218

As noted on The Humanist Society website

Endorsement by the Humanist Society does not entitle a humanist chaplain to a paid chaplain position at an institution.  Any given institute may require volunteers or paid staff to have professional certifications, whether related to chaplaincy, counseling or other credentials. The society endorsement affirms 1) the individual can authentically represent humanism and 2) the individual is ready to serve according to professional standards within and outside the humanist community.
Board of Chaplaincy Certification Inc. Standards for Board and Associate Certified Humanist Chaplain:
  • Bachelor’s Degree
  • Master’s Degree in theological studies
  • Endorsement granted by the Humanist Society
  • CPE: 4 units for Board Certified (1600 hours) or 2 units Associate Certified (800 hours)
  • Total of 2,000 hours of work experience following completion of CPE units
The requirements that will be the most difficult will be the Master's Degree in theological studies, the CPE and the 2000 hours of work experience. I have a Bachelor's Degree (B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from West Point) and a Master's Degree (M.S. in Computer Science/Information Systems from Marist College) but not a Master's Degree in theological studies. I am a full-time employee in the IT department of a Bio-Pharmaceutical company, so I am looking at trying to get my theological degree online. The other work experience requirements will be more even more difficult as I will probably have to resign my job, so my income will be stretched at that point in time. Unless I can meet those requirements working part time. 

Either way, the 6-year time frame given in the podcast will be difficult to meet and maintain my current standard of living. I am on the older side at age 52 turning 53 in November of this year, but I don't think it is unreasonable to think that I could accomplish this by my 65th birthday. I also don't think that is unreasonable to think that I could still contribute to the Humanist movement well past that age. Hopefully, I can use my age to my advantage as a sign of wisdom. If not I can always play the Gandalf the Grey card. 

My first step will be to attend a Humanist Celebrant Training class on September 23, 2017, in Washington D.C. After attending that course, I will apply to become a Humanist Celebrant to be able to perform weddings, memorial services, and invocations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September - Discharge, Training & 30th Class Reunion

Vocational Autobiography

Deconstruction of my Christianity - My theological Anthropology